Followers

Tuesday 20 March 2012

Whimsical

So in case you aren't aware, there is a super popular Deborah Lippman polish color out there called Glitter in the Air.  But as any of you who are familiar with Deborah Lippman polishes know, they come at a price (regardless of the quality - although I do believe you get what you pay for).  However, I caught wind of an exact dupe for much less money (quality may be compromised a bit) from the lovely nail girls I follow on InstaGram.  The dupe is Revlon Whimsical 430.  Yes, you heard me correctly, I said REVLON!  It seems though that this information was very well known by the masses and try as I might I could not find it anywhere :(  As luck should have it though, a lovely woman (and fellow Albertan I might add) that I befriended on InstaGram happened to come across a couple bottles of Revlon Whimsical 430 in her travels and bought more than one and offered to send me one of them since she knew I was in desperate search of one.  I cannot tell you how excited I was the day it arrived and I did an immediate mani change that day so I could try the Revlon Whimsical right away!!

The base is a very sheer pale pale blue jelly and it has random pink and blue hex glitters with some blue micro glitter throughout.  Due to how sheer and pale the base was it was suggested that it be used mostly for a layering polish.  I didn't want to take away too much from the pale blueness of it and did not want to make it bluer so I layered it over white.  Unfortunately, the only white I had was a Barielle and it's cheap and crap and super runny.  My base of white took two coats to get opaque enough because it was so runny and it was a mess and ran everywhere.  But I thought I could clean it up enough and then the Whimsical would camouflage any grossness.  I put two coats of Revlon Whimsical over the white base and this is what I ended up with.

I also used some pale pink nail stickers I got at Dollarama to fill in some of the larger gaps of glitter as the glitter is very randomly disbursed and there were some "holes" that were just too large for my liking.  However, when the stickers were all said and done, I think it actually ended up being over done in my opinion.

I liked how the white base kept the overall color nice and bright and didn't make it super blue but rather accented the little bit of pale blue in the jelly base itself, however I could not get over how messy the white was underneath and I couldn't look past it and the white pretty much ruined my entire first experience with this lovely Whimsical polish :(
However, the next day, with a fresh mind set and being much more creative, I removed all the polish and stickers and redid my Whimsical mani and it was much improved and I love love LOVED it and got so many compliments on it all the time and it remains one of my favourite manis to date.



As you can see, I did a simple french tip manicure (using Essie Lilacism) and then used the Revlon Whimsical over top the whole nail.  The glitter actually showed up much better on the bare nail I found and the colors matched perfectly with the Lilacism.  Made the Lilacism a bit bluer than it actually is but that is quite alright and actually worked out for the best.

As always, I welcome any comments or questions you might have and if you are in the Edmonton, Alberta Canada area, please feel free to ask me about getting a cheap mani or pedi done at my home! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment